Monday, December 3, 2007

The Well

I heard this saying at Diane's Christmas party this weekend.

"Those who drink the water should remember those who dug the well."

I like that...sort of. Let me explain.

I think it is correct in its pure meaning. If we benefit from the work of those in the past, then we should remember those people who went ahead of us. That's good.

On the other hand, the statement has the potential for causing deep ruts.

Having been in church work for many years, I have seen too many congregations get stuck in ruts due to being hung up on tradition and the past. Is there anything wrong with tradition? No. Is there anything wrong with remembering the past? No. But we must be very careful to correctly remember those who dug the wells in our lives in such a way so as not to be kept from moving forward.

I'm not saying we should walk away from those who dug the wells. And I'm not saying we should walk away from what they stood for either. Not at all. What we should do though is to be propelled forwards to build on what they did in ways that are relevant but always based on the same values, morals and principles. Why? Because truth never changes. If you are a spiritual person, you will understand what I am talking about here.

I'm going to use this little saying and these rambling thoughts in a series I'll be presenting at our church in January. Here is the logo for the series.


Application: Are you digging wells that someone else will enjoy someday?
Bob

No comments: